Second Temple period expectations...

A place to share study, midrash, links and ideas.
Forum rules
Love your neighbour as yourself.
If there is a disagreement please have it respectfully.
nazarene
Second Temple period expectations...

Post by nazarene » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:21 pm

שלום!

Mark 5:2-7 2 As soon as he disembarked, a man with an unclean spirit came out of the burial caves to meet him. 3 He lived in the burial caves; and no one could keep him tied up, not even with a chain. 4 He had often been chained hand and foot, but he would snap the chains and break the irons off his feet, and no one was strong enough to control him. 5 Night and day he wandered among the graves and through the hills, howling and gashing himself with stones. 6 Seeing Yeshua from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him 7 and screamed at the top of his voice, "What do you want with me, Yeshua, Son of God Ha'Elyon? I implore you in God's name! Don't torture me!"

Luk 8:31 And they begged Him that He not order them to go away into the abyss.

In the Tanach there is not an explicit direct expectation that demons/unclean spirits will suffer 'torture' or be cast into the abyss. However, that was an expectation in the second Temple period, Enoch demonstrates this expectation;

And the Lord said unto Michael: ’Go, bind Semjaza and his associates who have united themselves with women so as to have defiled themselves 12 with them in all their uncleanness. And when their sons have slain one another, and they have seen the destruction of their beloved ones, bind them fast for seventy generations in the valleys of the earth, till the day of their judgement and of their consummation, till the judgement that is 13 for ever and ever is consummated. In those days they shall be led off to the abyss of fire: and 14 to the torment and the prison in which they shall be confined for ever. And whosoever shall be condemned and destroyed will from thenceforth be bound together with them to the end of all 15 generations. And destroy all the spirits of the reprobate and the children of the Watchers, because 16 they have wronged mankind. Destroy all wrong from the face of the earth and let every evil work come to an end: and let the plant of righteousness and truth appear: and it shall prove a blessing; the works of righteousness and truth’ shall be planted in truth and joy for evermore.

The spirits will eventually be cast into the abyss and be tortured according to Enoch..

This judgement is associated with seventy seven generations in Enoch [if we count Enoch/Noach at the seventh generation];

And the Lord said unto Michael: ’Go, bind Semjaza and his associates who have united themselves with women so as to have defiled themselves 12 with them in all their uncleanness. And when their sons have slain one another, and they have seen the destruction of their beloved ones, bind them fast for seventy generations in the valleys of the earth, till the day of their judgement and of their consummation, till the judgement that is 13 for ever and ever is consummated. In those days they shall be led off to the abyss of fire: and 14 to the torment and the prison in which they shall be confined for ever.

Luke has seventy seven generations in the genealogy [Luke 3:23-38] this also seems to reflect the expectation that there would be judgement as indicated by Enoch and may explain the reaction of the demons to whom Yeshua was talking too...
Interested in learning more? Join us on paltalk in the room Yeshua HaMashiach Fellowship and Study Room

nazarene

Re: Second Temple period expectations...

Post by nazarene » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:56 pm

שלום!

In the second Temple period there was an expectation of eventually living 1000 years;

Jubilees 23:26 And in those days the children shall begin to study the laws, And to seek the commandments, And to return to the path of righteousness.
27 And the days shall begin to grow many and increase amongst those children of men Till their days draw nigh to one thousand years. And to a greater number of years than (before) was the number of the days.

This may shed light on Revelation 20;

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and [persons] sat on them, and judgment was given to them, and to the souls that were beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God: and these are they who had not worshipped the beast of prey, nor its image, neither had they received the mark upon their forehead or on their hand; and they lived and reigned with their Messiah those thousand years.
Interested in learning more? Join us on paltalk in the room Yeshua HaMashiach Fellowship and Study Room

nazarene

Post by nazarene » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:56 pm

שלום!

In the second Temple period there was an expecation that the Mashiach would be able to speak to the Heavens and the Earth and the Heavens and the Earth would listen to him;

(…. For the heavens) and the earth shall listen to His Messiah and all which is in them shall not turn away from the commandments of the holy ones. Strenghten yourselves, O you who seek the Lord, in his service. Will you not find the Lord in this, all those who hope in their heart? For the Lord seeks the pious and calls the righteous by name.
Over the humble His spirit hovers, and He renews the faithful in His strength. For He will honor the pious upon the Throne of His eternal kingdom, setting prisoners free, opening the eyes of the blind, raising up those who are bowed down. And forever I shall hold fast to the hopeful and pious (…) (…) shall not be delayed (…) and the Lord shall do glorious things which have not been done, just as He said. For He shall heal the critically wounded, He shall revive the dead, He shall send good news to the afflicted. He shall (… the ….), He shall lead the (…), and the hungry he shall enrich (?) (…) and (…) DSS 4q521 F.2 + F.4 col.2

This may have implications for verses such as;

Mat 8:23 And He entering into the boat, His disciples followed Him.
Mat 8:24 And, behold, a great shaking occurred in the sea, so that the boat was covered by the waves; but He was sleeping.
Mat 8:25 And coming near, His disciples aroused Him, saying, Lord, save us! We are perishing.
Mat 8:26 And He said to them, Why are you afraid, little-faiths? Then rising up, He rebuked the winds and the sea. And a great calm occurred.
Mat 8:27 And the men marveled, saying, What kind of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?

Matthew 28:18 18 Yeshua came and talked with them. He said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Additionally the text from the dead sea scrolls also attests to the expectation that pious would be renewed with the raising of their dead, healing, a gospel being preached to them, opening eyes of their blind, settings their prisoners free;

For He will honor the pious upon the Throne of His eternal kingdom, setting prisoners free, opening the eyes of the blind, raising up those who are bowed down. And forever I shall hold fast to the hopeful and pious (…) (…) shall not be delayed (…) and the Lord shall do glorious things which have not been done, just as He said. For He shall heal the critically wounded, He shall revive the dead, He shall send good news to the afflicted. He shall (… the ….), He shall lead the (…), and the hungry he shall enrich (?) (…) and (…)

This ofcourse has implications for the response of Yeshua;

Matthew 11:1-6 CJB Matthew 11:1 After Yeshua had finished instructing the twelve talmidim, he went on from there to teach and preach in the towns nearby. 2 Meanwhile, Yochanan the Immerser, who had been put in prison, heard what the Messiah had been doing; so he sent a message to him through his talmidim, 3 asking, "Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for someone else?" 4 Yeshua answered, "Go and tell Yochanan what you are hearing and seeing- 5 the blind are seeing again, the lame are walking, people with tzara'at are being cleansed, the deaf are hearing, the dead are being raised, the Good News is being told to the poor- 6 and how blessed is anyone not offended by me!"

nazarene

Post by nazarene » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 pm

שלום!

Angels are chained and will be chained, there is no explicit place in the Tanach which gives us this type of belief or expectation, however, Revelation, 2Peter and Jude all hold to this belief or expectation;

Rev 20:1 And I saw an angel coming down out of Heaven, having the key of the abyss, and a great chain on his hand.
Rev 20:2 And he laid hold of the dragon, the old serpent who is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
Rev 20:3 and threw him into the abyss, and shut him up, and sealed over him, that he should not still lead astray the nations, until the thousand years are fulfilled. And after these things, he must be set loose a little time.

2Pe 2:4 For if God did not spare sinning angels, but delivered them to chains of darkness, thrust down into Tartarus, having been kept to judgment;

Jud 1:6 And those angels not having kept their first place, but having deserted their dwelling-place, He has kept in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of a great Day;

Where would this belief or expectation come from? In 1Enoch and Jubilees we do see there was a belief that angels could be chained;

[Jubilees Chapter 14:1] The book of the words of righteousness, and of the reprimand of the eternal Watchers in accordance 2 with the command of the Holy Great One in that vision. I saw in my sleep what I will now say with a tongue of flesh and with the breath of my mouth: which the Great One has given to men to 3 converse therewith and understand with the heart. As He has created and given to man the power of understanding the word of wisdom, so hath He created me also and given me the power of reprimanding 4 the Watchers, the children of heaven. I wrote out your petition, and in my vision it appeared thus, that your petition will not be granted unto you throughout all the days of eternity, and that judgement 5 has been finally passed upon you: yea (your petition) will not be granted unto you. And from henceforth you shall not ascend into heaven unto all eternity, and in bonds of the earth the decree 6 has gone forth to bind you for all the days of the world. And (that) previously you shall have seen the destruction of your beloved sons and ye shall have no pleasure in them, but they shall fall before 7 you by the sword.

[1Enoch Chapter 10:1] Then said the Most High, the Holy and Great One spake, and sent Uriel to the son of Lamech, 2 and said to him: ’Go to Noah and tell him in my name "Hide thyself!" and reveal to him the end that is approaching: that the whole earth will be destroyed, and a deluge is about to come 3 upon the whole earth, and will destroy all that is on it. And now instruct him that he may escape 4 and his seed may be preserved for all the generations of the world.’ And again the Lord said to Raphael: ’Bind Azazel hand and foot, and cast him into the darkness: and make an opening 5 in the desert, which is in Dudael, and cast him therein. And place upon him rough and jagged rocks, and cover him with darkness, and let him abide there for ever, and cover his face that he may 6,7 not see light. And on the day of the great judgement he shall be cast into the fire

[Jubilees Chapter 5...] And God looked upon the earth, and behold it was corrupt, and all flesh had corrupted its orders, and all that were upon the earth had wrought all manner of evil 4 before His eyes. And He said that He would destroy man and all flesh upon the face of the earth 5,6 which He had created. But Noah found grace before the eyes of the Lord. And against the angels whom He had sent upon the earth, He was exceedingly wroth, and He gave commandment to root them out of all their dominion, and He bade us to bind them in the depths of the earth, and 7 behold they are bound in the midst of them, and are (kept) separate.

These sources demonstrate a belief that angels were chained, and 1Enoch demonstrates the belief of a further judgement.