Paul's teaching of Torah

A place to share study, midrash, links and ideas.
Forum rules
Love your neighbour as yourself.
If there is a disagreement please have it respectfully.
nazarene
Paul's teaching of Torah

Post by nazarene » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:29 am

שלום!

This post is limited to Paul's usage of the Torah in giving Commandments which are directly from the Torah. The Torah here is defined as the first five books, although Torah could be expanded to the other Writings, Psalms and Prophets.

In 1 Corinthians Paul makes the positive assertion about keeping Commandments;

1Co 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of God's commands.

The question then is which Commandments is he speaking of, below are some examples of Commandments which he teaches that are directly from the Torah.

2Co 13:1 I am coming to you this third time. "In the mouth of two or three witnesses every matter shall be established."

Deu 19:15 One witness shall not rise against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin which he sins. At the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses a thing shall be raised up to judgment.

1Co 5:13 But God will judge the ones outside. "And you shall put out from yourselves the evil one."

Deu 17:7 The hand of the witnesses shall be first on him, to put him to death; and the hand of all the people last. And you shall put away the evil from among you.

Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
Eph 6:2 "Honor your father and mother," which is the first commandment with a promise,
Eph 6:3 "that it may be well with you, and you may be long-lived on the earth".

Deu 5:16 Honor your father and your mother, as Jehovah your God has commanded you, so that your days may be prolonged, and so that it may be well with you in the land which Jehovah your God is giving to you.

1Co 6:15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Then taking the members of Christ, shall I make them members of a harlot? Let it not be!
1Co 6:16 Or do you not know that he being joined to a harlot is one body? For He says, "The two shall be into one flesh."

Gen 2:24 Therefore, a man shall leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave to his wife and they shall become one flesh.

1Co 9:8 Do I speak these things according to man, or does not the Law say these things also?
1Co 9:9 For it has been written in the Law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle an ox treading out grain." Is it that it matters to God as to oxen?

Deu 25:4 You shall not muzzle an ox when he is treading out grain.

1Co 14:33 For God is not of confusion, but of peace, as in all the assemblies of the saints.
1Co 14:34 Let your women be silent in the assemblies, for it is not allowed to them to speak, but to be in subjection, as also the Law says.

Which is then explained in another Epistle relating it back to Genesis;

1Ti 2:13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived has come to be in transgression;

1Ti 5:17 Let the elders who take the lead well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those laboring in Word and teaching.
1Ti 5:18 For the Scripture says, "You shall not muzzle an ox treading out grain," and, the laborer is worthy of his pay.

Deu 25:4 You shall not muzzle an ox when he is treading out grain.

1Ti 5:19 Do not receive an accusation against an elder unless on "the testimony of" "two or three witnesses."

Deu 19:15 One witness shall not rise against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin which he sins. At the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses a thing shall be raised up to judgment.

Rom 12:18 If possible, from you being in peace with all men;
Rom 12:19 not avenging yourselves, beloved, but giving place to wrath, for it has been written, "Vengeance is Mine," "I will repay," says the Lord.

Deu 32:35 Vengeance and retribution belong to Me; in due time their foot will slip; for the day of their calamity is near, and the things prepared are hurrying for them.

Rom 13:8 Do not continue to owe no one, nothing, except to love one another. For the one loving the other has fulfilled the Law.
Rom 13:9 For, "Do not commit adultery," "do not murder," "do not steal," do not bear false witness, "do not lust," and if there is any other commandment, in this word it is summed up, in the words, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Deu 5:17 You shall not commit murder.
Deu 5:18 And you shall not commit adultery.
Deu 5:19 And you shall not steal.
Deu 5:20 And you shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Deu 5:21 You shall not lust after your neighbor's wife; nor shall you covet your neighbor's house, his field, nor his male slave, nor his female slave, his ox, nor his ass, nor anything which is your neighbor's.

Lev 19:18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people; but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am Jehovah.
Interested in learning more? Join us on paltalk in the room Yeshua HaMashiach Fellowship and Study Room