The Abraham Studies Study One

A place to share study, midrash, links and ideas.
Forum rules
Love your neighbour as yourself.
If there is a disagreement please have it respectfully.
samuel7771
The Abraham Studies Study One

Post by samuel7771 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 pm

The Abraham Studies

Study One by Reuven ben Gershom
The Journey – Part One
The three levels of learning & understanding of the blessed Word of YaHVaH Elohim (the Lord God):

When we read and study the blessed Scriptures, the Word of YHVH Elohim as a believer in Yahushua the Messiah, we should keep the following three steps always in mind for they are a valuable guide and it will certainly provide us with guidance and illuminate the sheer beauty and the fullness of YHVH’s most blessed Word.

1. Who was YHVH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified Name speaking to?

2. When was it said?

3. How was His Word understood at the time it was spoken/given?

I do believe that these three points are most relevant to our understanding of 1. What the Almighty is saying at the time – 2. As well as what it means to us today - and 3. Especially to you and me right now!

Introduction
“What then shall we say that Avraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Avraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about, but not before Elohim. What does the Scripture say? "Avraham believed Elohim, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” Romans 4:1-3.

In this series there are three studies regarding Avraham - Abraham, who as we all know is a very special man of YaHVaH Elohim (the LORD God), blessed be His Sanctified Name, and I pray that each of these studies will mightily bless you!

We look first at the early years when his name was still just Avram or Abram, including his call to the land, being the land that “Elohim would show him,” and then there will be an amazing revelation regarding his families time north in Charan. It would be from Charan where Avram finally moves forward and heads for and finally arrives in Bethel. Having arrived in the land of promise, we will then look at the huge significance of his journey to Egypt, as well as his shock departure and his repentant journey back to the land of promise. This study has been broken up in two parts. “The Journey” Study One and Study Two. There is also a map of Avram’s journey’s online with a link at the appropriate location.

Study Three takes an in-depth look at Abraham’s greatest test when he was asked to “sacrifice your son, your only son.” Obviously all of these events in Abraham's life have great meaning to us all, and I pray that we will learn a great deal from his life as well as his actions. Thus, I pray beloved that these three wonderful studies will have a life changing effect upon your life, bringing you closer to Messiah Yahushua our blessed Saviour … “Our Passover was sacrificed for us.” 1 Corinthians 5:7.

The Early Years
These three studies speak about a man that became a true “Tzadik” of Elohim, which means, a “Righteous” man of Elohim. The details of his life and actions should have an effect on us all for as we read about his journey in the first Book in the Scriptures, Bereshis - Genesis, and we will soon come to realise that due to Avraham’s personal great faith, he became the father of faith. However, this first study covers his early years, thus it does not deal with this great Tzadik, that Righteous man, or the father of great faith, the man named Avraham, but with a man of faith, yes, but it was just, Avram.

We should understand that the Hebrew letter ה *“He” - “h” was added to his name by the Almighty until a time later in his life. In fact it was not added until chapter 17 verse 5, where the “He” was added and Avram then became - “Avraham,” which means the “father of many.”

*The insertion of the letter “He” – “h” to Avram’s name will be fully covered in study 2.

The Torah, Hebrew for the Five Books of Moshe - Moses or “the Law”, contains many treasures, providing teaching that has immeasurable value and meaning to all in Messiah and not just to those Elohim spoke to back in ancient times, but also for all of us to this very day!

Let me first cover something remarkable about the First 25 Chapters of Bereshis - Genesis:
Chapters 1 to 11 provide us with a chronological picture of man’s beginnings. In other words, it speaks of the entire human race. I like to call this, speaking about the crowd.

Yet, Chapters 12 to 25 speaks of just one man and just one family. Therefore the story has turned from the crowd to an individual.

Chapters 1 to 11 covers 2,000 years, thus 11 chapter’s deals with many generations.

Again, Chapters 12 to 25 deals with just one lifetime, the life of Avram/Avraham.

In addition, it is important to note that Chapters 1 to 11, except for a relatively few faithful servants of Elohim, deals with rebellion, sin, and retribution.

Whilst Chapters 12 to 25 speak of deliverance and provision.

In Bereshis - Genesis we read of one man, Adam, who was the world’s first transgressor, then, later it speaks of one man, Abraham, who brought great faith to the world. Repentance and faith is of greater significance and importance to the Almighty, thus He spends more time on this subject in the Word. Here is an example …

Chapter 1 - deals with life and creation. Whilst, Chapter 50, verse 26 being the very last verse of Bereshis - Genesis deals with death and a coffin.

This death and coffin experience is followed immediately by the book of Shemos - Exodus and as we may well be aware, this book is related to a new beginning, new life and the deliverance from bondage and slavery out of Egypt – It is the Repentance Book. Thus, here we clearly see that YHVH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified Name, is more concerned with His salvation plan than punishment, for He is our heavenly Father, who is righteous and full of love and mercy!

But, let us now turn to the life of Avram.
Noach - Noah:

Sadly there are so few of the faithful that know and understand that when Avram was born, that there was another great man of faith still alive. This man was Avram’s ancestor Noach - Noah who died when Avram was about 58 years of age, according to the “Mishnah”, being the Hebrew oral telling of the Torah. Avram as a child at various times lived with Noach and it would stand to reason that he would have been Avram’s teacher regarding the one true Elohim, for sadly Avram’s father Terach lived in the ways of the Chaldeans, including worshipping of the moon god! Thus slowly Avram whilst with his elder relative, came to know the Creator of heaven and earth and he began to worship the Elohim of all creation! As the eldest son of the family he had the responsibility of instructing the children on spiritual matters.

Genesis chapter 11:31 & 32 to 12:1 to 9.

“And Terach took his son Avram and his grandson Lot, the son of Charan, and his daughter-in-law Sarai (Sarah), his son Avram’s wife, and they went out with them from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to the land of Canaan; and they came to Charan and dwelt there. So the days of Terach were two hundred and five years, and Terach died in Charan.” Bereshis - Genesis 11: 31-32.

“Now YHVH had said to Avram: ‘Get out of your country, away from your family and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’ So Avram departed as YHVH had spoken to him, and Lot went with him. And Avram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Charan. Then Avram took Sarai his wife and Lot his brother's son, and all their possessions that they had gathered, and the people whom they had acquired in Charan, and they departed to go to the land of Canaan. So, they came to the land of Canaan. Avram passed through the land to the place of Shechem, as far as the terebinth tree of Moreh. And the Canaanites were then in the land. Then YHVH appeared to Avram and said, ‘To your descendants I will give this land.’ And there he (Avram) built an altar to YHVH, who had appeared to him. And he moved from there to the mountain east of Bethel, and he pitched his tent with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east; there he built an altar to YHVH and called on the Name of YHVH. So Avram journeyed, going on still toward the South.” Bereshis - Genesis 12:1-9.

The Torah, being the Five Books of Moshe – Moses, teaches that Avram - Avraham is a Father in three ways.

1… He is a Father to the descendants of Ishmael.

2… He is a Father to the Hebrews (Israel) through Isaac.

3… He is a Father to all peoples who have accepted the Elohim (God) of Avraham, Yitzchak & Ya’akov (Abraham, Isaac & Jacob) and returned to YHVH in faith and with true heartfelt teshuvah (repentance) in THE Name of YAHUSHUA THE Messiah.

Faith
(1) YHVH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified Name, called Avram to leave his home and to go to “a land that He would show him.” The point is this - What a great FAITH Avram had in his Elohim, for him to leave the only place he had known as his home, and go to a land, which the Almighty had not even revealed to him as yet. But, Avram went in faith, because he desired to obey his Elohim, no matter where the Almighty would take him!

(2) YHVH never told Avram how he would have a son in his, and Sarai’s old age, but again Avram believed Elohim!

(3) YHVH did not tell Avraham why he was to sacrifice his “only son” Yitzchak - Isaac whom he loved; yet Avraham was prepared to do it in total faith! His faith endured again and again! We know from the Word that at the crucial moment YHVH Elohim, blessed be He, provided a substitute being a ram to be sacrificed. Because of Avraham’s great faith YHVH Elohim blessed His servant and gave him and his seed the land, which YHVH had shown him so long ago and this land is greater Israel, the land that was given to Abraham and his seed FOREVER!

As we have learned from Avraham’s faith, if Elohim calls a man to do something, he better do it, no matter where, how or why! Those without a strong faith will ask, “Why should I go … how will I get there … and, where am I going?”

Considering we have just described Avram/Avraham’s great faith, the following statement will surprise you, and yes it may even shock you.

Forgiveness
FORGIVENESS is a major factor in Avram’s life, for the truth is, in spite of Avraham’s great faith, the Word clearly reveals details of Avram’s disobediences as well as his many fears and his sins. I can see some of you already thumping your fists on the table, saying “how dare you belittle our beloved father of faith.” I will deal with this factor a little later in this study, but believe me it will make sense and it will be a great blessing to you. But it does show that the Word is very honest, and it proves that YHVH Elohim, our beloved Creator, blessed be He, can take an unworthy person and through their repentance He will forgive them and then mightily use and bless them!

Friend
So far, I have covered FAITH and FORGIVENESS in the life of Avram. However, the Word reveals that later Avraham was also named a “FRIEND of Elohim,” for we know that true friends will do things for each other! FAITH, FORGIVENESS and FRIENDSHIP is available unto all who will submit unto the will of the YHVH Elohim, the Almighty!

Now, let us commence with the actual Journey!
The Journey - Part one
Avram’s father, Terach was a maker of idols and he worshipped the moon god. However, out of this ungodly family, descendants of Noach, and Shem, YaHVaH Elohim (the LORD God), blessed be His Sanctified Name, called Avram unto Himself and blessed him. This teaches us the following, what Elohim can do for Avram He can also do for us!

Avram, together with Sarai his wife, his father Terach, his nephew Lot, and the entire family and servants, departed Ur of the Chaldeans and travelled north along the River Euphrates to Charan in Mesopotamia, and sadly, there they settled and remained.

Why? 1. Avram stayed in Charan because of his physical ties. For, how could a son leave his father? Did you know that it was the custom for the elder son to remain with his father’s household, until his death? He would then inherit his father’s possessions and he would then be responsible to care for all of his family and continue the household, etc.

2. Also Avram stayed in Charan for it provided all the comforts of living in a house with a solid roof, thus here he had good shelter as well as ample water. Back in Ur he and his family lived in stone and mud houses, in addition the Euphrates provided ample water for growing crops. In Charan, just like Ur, they also lived in stone and mud houses, and had ample water and food. Thus, Charan offered a safe shelter during the months of piercing heat or extreme cold, whereas the journey west offered Avram no guarantee of sufficient water and certainly no assurance of any comforts in a dwelling for he had to think of his family not just himself!.

Therefore, we can clearly see that it was due to worldly reasons that Avram was held back from going where YHVH Elohim had told him to go. This was the very reason why Avram was told to go only with his immediate family, such as his wife Sarah and their servants. Had this been the case, Elohim would have taken him directly to the place YHVH wished him to go.

What can we learn from this? Even in our own lives often families and other situations can and do hold us back in our walk of faith when we are called to go to another place to do the will of Elohim. We might be tempted to enquire, “Will I have any comforts there, and will it be safe?” There are many examples of this kind of questioning throughout the Scriptures.

We know that Avram resided with his family in Charan for 5 years and it states that he finally departed after his father Terach had died.

The question I now pose at this here is this … “Was Terach really dead and buried?” Let’s check the Word of YHVH Elohim for the facts!

If we check the final verse of Bereshis - Genesis chapter 11:32 it clearly states “And the days of Terach were two hundred and five years: and Terach died in Charan.” Clearly meaning that Terach died in Charan aged 205!

Now if we look at Bereshis - Genesis where it states in chapter 11:26, that Avram was born when Terach was 70 years old, then in chapter 12 verse 4 it states that Avram departed Charan at the age of 75, thus it is quite obvious that when Avram departed Charan Terach was 145 years of age.

Considering Terach died aged 205 he obviously must have lived for a further 60 years. It does not take much to work this out, but priests, pastors and all those so-called scholars have never been able to figure out this very simple truth for thousands of years! All they had to do is read the Word of the Father, but do it prayerfully seeking discernment!

The sad fact is that Avram’s father was considered to be “spiritually dead,” for he obviously continued to worship the pagan gods. Even after five years in Charan, and with Terach not responding to Avram’s teaching and not accepting the one true YaHVaH Elohim, Avram finally departed with the sad knowledge that his father was spiritually dead and that he would never accept the one true Elohim and Creator of heaven and earth, which he originally had learned about when he was a child from his grand old family member who was still alive at the time, Noach and Avram had worshipped Elohim the one true Elohim ever since!

The Journey - Part two
At the age of 75, Avram was finally obedient to the call of YHVH Elohim, which he received in Ur years ago, and he headed west for Canaan with his extended family in tow. However, did YHVH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified Name, not say, “leave your land, family and your father’s house?” Here we see that Avram once again disobeyed Elohim, as he gathered all his family (except his father’s direct household) and travelled west. Thus we can see that Avram certainly had a bumpy road before he became the man of great faith, and the man that YHVH Elohim intended him to be.

Now we know why the Almighty did not insert the “He” “h” into his name as yet, for he simply did not deserve it as yet!

Avram's first stop in Canaan was “Shechem,” which means, “Shoulder.” Now Avram had finally arrived at the right place and it is here where YHVH Elohim speaks to him, saying, “To your descendants I will give this land.” Here Elohim gives Avram the promise of a son for the second time, as He clearly said “to your descendants.” We know that Avram at this point was by now either still 75, or 76 years old, and Sarai is not exactly a youngster either, yet Elohim continued to promise them a son. However, they would have to wait for another 25 years, before Yitzchak (Isaac) would be born. The wonderful truth is, a promise is a promise, it is a matter of Elohim’s time before a promise be fulfilled. The point is this, promises, including prayers, will be answered in YHVH’s time and not in ours!

The Word then tells us that Avram “built an altar to Elohim in Shechem and worshipped Him.” We must realise that YHVH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified Name, spoke to Avram in Ur. Yet, whilst he was up in Charan with his father Terach, Elohim did not speak to Avram until his father was considered as being “dead.” Now Avram had been obedient and arrived in the land that YHVH showed him, Elohim once again spoke to him. Thus for the faithful the message is very clear, it is ONLY when we are at the RIGHT PLACE the Almighty is able to guide and use us!

Is this not true of all of us, sometimes we might feel spiritually empty, just like the Almighty is not near, and you feel that you do not have the same desire in giving the Almighty praise, like you did on that day you accepted Him as being the one true Elohim of Avraham, Yitzchak, Ya’akov and Yahushua our beloved Messiah and Saviour! Let me tell you, the problem is, you may well have strayed from the path in some degree, and you may not be where YHVH Elohim desires you to be, or you may have fallen into using names that you should not be using, for our Saviour is very clear – “Ask it in My Name”. And he means HIS NAME, now any other, and His name was, is and will always be the same as that which he was called by His earthly mother Miriam, and His disciples and followers – Yahushua, which is the same name of he we call Joshua, also spelled in Hebrew Yahushua, and in the Greek written as Iesous, but he became Joshua, which sound very similar to his original, but our beloved Saviour was given the unrelated and a foreign name, the question is why is it so different to the one given to Joshua? For some reason, the “Roman Church” gave our beloved Messiah a new name that is completely foreign and has a meaning so different to His actual blessed Name. But it is best to read the relevant study regarding this, and a link is found at the bottom of this page.

What is the answer? Get back where you should be. Pray and ask YaHVaH Elohim in His Name where you should be. Then, when you are back at the right place in your spiritual life, He, blessed be our Heavenly Father, will pour His comfort and His blessings upon your life!

Soon, Avram departed Shechem and travelled further south to Bethel, which means “House of Elohim.” The word states.

“There he pitched his tent and built an altar unto YHVH and called upon the Name of Elohim.”

It is in the detail of the Word, where we can find some of the most blessed teachings. Whilst Avram was at Bethel, we note that he “pitched his tent.” Even though he intended to remain in Bethel, we note that he did not build a house, like most men of his day would have done. You see, tents do not last for they are but a temporary structure. Therefore, should Avram leave for another place, he did not leave a visible sign of him having been there. However, whilst in Bethel, he did build something of stone, something of a permanent structure. Here Avram built a stone altar unto YHVH Elohim. You see, worldly men usually leave things of the self, which says, “I was here” Just look at all the graffiti around the world, young individuals leaving their mark, saying, “I, me, myself, I did this!” Then there are the countless great monuments, or high-rise buildings with the names of men or companies upon them, such as the Trump building in New York City. And yes, even those hideous churches and cathedrals, most of which are evil in their design for many are covered with satanic pagan sculptures, such as gargoyles, and inside, many Roman churches even have skeletons, and other pagan statues, and all this is against the Word of YaHVaH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified Name! What does the second of the Ten Commandments so clearly proclaim?

“You shall not make for yourself a graven image (an idol), nor any likeness (of any thing) that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.” Shemos - Exodus 20: 4.

ALL statues carved, moulded, or images painted in the likeness of Elohim, including likeness of our blessed Saviour Yahushua the Messiah is strictly forbidden! Of course, the church has even made men and women individual saints, which is again part of a pagan religious practice that commenced long before the days of Yahushua the Messiah came to the earth!

Beloved, when spiritual men and women move from one place to another and they should always leave spiritual signs behind them, those things that are a witness of one who is a faithful servant of YaHVaH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified Name!

It is my prayer is beloved, that we will leave a wonderful testimony of being true servants of the Almighty, no matter where we may go. May the world see that we are different and make them hunger for that difference that is within us. The faithful, being those of like mind in Messiah Yahushua, are to be a witness of life, but also a witness of lips unto those we meet, that we may proclaim …

“that Yahushua the Messiah came and shed his blood for the redemption of “the sin” and that Elohim the Father rose Him from the dead and that He now sits at His right hand and that Yahushua will return again and that all the faithful will reign with Him on earth during the Millennium Reign and have everlasting life with YHVH Elohim – in the Kingdom of Elohim!”