Daniel 9:25-27

A place to share study, midrash, links and ideas.
Forum rules
Love your neighbour as yourself.
If there is a disagreement please have it respectfully.
LoveHarps
Daniel 9:25-27

Post by LoveHarps » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 pm

End time theology of most Christian churches are based on these verses. I have been taught all my life that this speaks of the anti-messiah making a 'covenant' with Israel and that it is speaking of a 7 year tribulation. I recently heard another teaching that says these verses are speaking of Messiah confirming the covenant when He came and was crucified, and that the 70 weeks have been fulfilled. I would appreciate any insights.

Dan 9:25  “Know, then, and understand: from the going forth of the command to restore and build Yerushalayim until Messiah the Prince is seven weeks and sixty-two weeks. It shall be built again, with streets and a trench, but in times of affliction. 
Dan 9:26  “And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off and have naught. And the people of a coming prince shall destroy the city and the set-apart place. And the end of it is with a flood. And wastes are decreed, and fighting until the end. 
Dan 9:27  “And he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week. And in the middle of the week he shall put an end to slaughtering and meal offering. And on the wing of abominations he shall lay waste, even until the complete end and that which is decreed is poured out on the one who lays waste.

LoveHarps - USA

peter_158

Re: Daniel 9:25-27

Post by peter_158 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:50 pm

This is one of those subjects that is quite difficult to understand, that is unless it is with hindsight, that is we only truly understand what is written after the events have unfolded within time.

I for one do not understand eschatology enough to render an opinion sis, and that is what most teachers on this have, opinion. All we can do is study and pray, asking for wisdom and insight to be able to understand His words, and then to just trust Him.

Shalom

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Here is my opinion, which like most of them, no one will understand, lol.

Basically, you have to understand how the Most High operates. He "lives" in a timeless dimension where His mere "thoughts" can be used to create or destroy, cut down or build up. If you can grasp that the Most High "in the present, i.e., right at this very moment of time" is existing in EVERY nanosecond of time that ever existed, is currently existing and WILL EXIST (past, present, future) then you will begin to comprehend why man struggles with most prophecies. Y'shua Himself even said that no one knows the hour of the end, not the malakim (angels), man, nor even Y'shua himself. Why? because these three entities (man, Y'shua and messengers/malakim in this realm - ie, here on earth, in a TIME DIMENSION that is fixed outside of the dimension that the Most High lives in) will NEVER know the hour on earth. EVER. Again, why? Because the Most High in a nanosecond of thought can rearrange a sign post here on earth, speed up or slow down the arrival of that sign and STILL be in alignment with His Word. He EXISTS in every thought space of time - that is why we also read where He says "I am YHVH, I do not change" - He has no need to change and CANNOT change because in HIS realm, "change" does not exist. Everything is constant, on the same wave length of time and space. Our brains can NEVER solve the prophecies in scripture with a date. We can only be "watchmen" and observe the sign posts that the Most High places in front of us. Once you understand this concept, you will never need to worry about any MAN's idea of the end time date. That is why we are warned about not running after the false prophets and false teachers. They will get you so caught up in this world's nonsense, that you lose sight of the dimensional realm to come where the Most High resides. This realm is the Kingdom of YHVH and it is coming to earth - when? Only YHVH knows.

nazarene

Post by nazarene » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:52 pm

שלום! Shalom!

The opposing view can be viewed here: http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/ ... eks-Daniel.

With the evidence that we have from the early sources the 'fulfilment' of Daniel 9:24-27 happened during the 'Antiochene crisis' just before the first century. To review those sources go here: http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?scr ... 4000300016.

With that in mind it would be permissable within second Temple period judaism to re-apply Prophecy [and the Prophecy of Daniel 9:24-27] given the right circumstances. This would be classed as 'prophetic fulfilment', an interpretive principle based on a spiral type of thought which permits Prophecy to be re-applied when similar events spiralled around to make the Prophecy applicable again. For more about 'prophetic fulfilment' go here: http://www.academia.edu/1326790/Techniq ... fore_70_CE.

To demonstrate this principle was active in the first century, and still accepted after the first century, we can look to the dead sea scrolls, Josephus, and the mishnah.

Many examples in the dead sea scrolls can be shown and below is just one section of text which demonstrates the usage of this principle:

Frag. 1 col. I Is 5:5 For now I will tell you what I am going to do with my vineyard: 1 [�remove its fence so that it can be used for pasture, destroy] its wall so that you trample it. Is 5:6 For 2 [I will leave it flattened; they shall not prune it or weed it, brambles and thi[stles] will grow. the interpretation of the word: that he has deserted them 3 [�] and as for what he says: Is 5:6 Brambles will grow, 4 [and thistles: its interpretation concerns�] and what 5 [it says:�] of the path 6 [�] his eyes

Frag. 1 col. II 1 The interpretation of the word concerns the last days, laying waste the land through thirst and hunger. This will happen 2 at the time of the visit to the land. Is 5:11-14 Woe to those who rise early in search of intoxicants and carry on until by twilight the wine 3 excites them and with zithers, harps, tambourines and flutes they feast their drunkenness, but they pay no attention to God's doings 4 or notice the works of his hands! For this, my people will be exiled without realising it, their nobles will die of hunger 5 and the ordinary folk have a raging thirst. For this, the abyss distends its jaws and enlarges its mouth immeasurably, 6 lowers its nobility and its ordinary people and its revelling throng enters. These are the arrogant men 7 who are in Jerusalem. They are the ones who: Is 5:24 {Have rejected the law of God and mocked the word of the Holy One of 8 Israel. Is 5:25 For this the wrath of God has been kindled against his people and he has stretched out his hand against them and wounded the. 9 The mountains quake, their corpses lie like dung in the middle of the streets. In spite of this 10 [his anger] is not appeased [and his hand continues to be stretched out]}. This is the Congregation of the arrogant men who are in Jerusalem. 11

As hopefully you can see, the words of the Prophet are being re-applied to the time frame of the dead sea scroll writers. In its original context this is speaking of the time frame of Isaiah, however, based on the principle of 'prophetic fulfilment' the dead sea scroll community felt it was permissable to re-apply the words to their own time frame. For a full reading of the text go here: https://www.usc.edu/dept/LAS/arc/isaiah ... esher.html

The next example is from the mishnah.

When adulterers multiplied, the ceremony of the bitter water was discontinued, and it was Rabban Yohanan ben Zakkai who discontinued it, as it is said [i.e., thereby fulfilling the prophecy,]: “I will not punish your daughters when they commit harlotry, and your daughters-in-law when they commit adultery, for the themselves [consort with lewd women ...].” (Hosea 4:14)

The words of the Prophet Hosea are re-applied to the time of Zakkai. The application of this Prophecy is understood to be re-applied to the second Temple. For a full reading of the text go here: http://www.emishnah.com/Nashim_Vol_2/Sotah9.pdf

The next example is from Josephus:

Antiquities of the Jews 10:78-79 78 But all the people mourned greatly for him, lamenting and grieving on his account many days; and Jeremiah the prophet composed an eulogy to lament him, which is extant to this time also. 79 Moreover, this prophet pronounced beforehand the sad calamities that were coming upon the city. He also left behind him in writing a description of that destruction of our nation which has lately happened in our days, and the taking of Babylon; nor was he the only prophet who delivered such predictions beforehand to the multitude; but so did Ezekiel also, who was the first person that wrote, and left behind him in writing, two books concerning these events.

Josephus speaks of Jeremiah speaking of the 'destruction of our nation which has lately happened in our days' yet a surface reading of Jeremiah would not permit the idea that Jeremiah spoke of the destruction in the first century. However, in light of second Temple period interpretive methods and the principle of 'prophetic fulfilment' it would be permissable to re-apply the words of Jeremiah.

This particular interpretive method has implications for our reading of the Gospels and Epistles etc, if we understand what was permissable within second Temple period judaism[s] then the reading of the Gospels and Epistles etc become much more reasonable.

Hope this helps.

שלום
Interested in learning more? Join us on paltalk in the room Yeshua HaMashiach Fellowship and Study Room

LoveHarps

Post by LoveHarps » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:34 am

TY all for your input. Stephen, your 'opinion' was so awesome that I have been thinking about it all day! I am seeing some things I hadn't seen before. I 'sing' Who was, Who is, and Who is to come......yet didn't even clearly see what I was singing! TY Sir for your awesome response!!!