INGREDIENTS OF THE ANOINTING OIL (שמן משחה)

A place to share study, midrash, links and ideas.
Forum rules
Love your neighbour as yourself.
If there is a disagreement please have it respectfully.
nazarene111
INGREDIENTS OF THE ANOINTING OIL (שמן משחה)

Post by nazarene111 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:40 pm

(Translation of a teaching by Kehilaj de Yahshua)

In the Sacred Scriptures, oil is one of the symbols of the Ruach HaKodesh (Set-Apart Spirit).

Exodus 30:22-25
22 And יהוה spoke to Mosheh, saying,
23 “And take for yourself choice spices, five hundred sheqels of liquid myrrh, and half as much – two hundred and fifty – of sweet-smelling cinnamon, and two hundred and fifty of sweet-smelling cane,
24 and five hundred of cassia, according to the sheqel of the set-apart place, and a hin of olive oil. 25 “And you shall make from these a set-apart anointing oil, a compound, blended, the work of a perfumer. It is a set-apart anointing oil.

MYRRH (מור)
The word myrrh in Hebrew connotes bitterness (because it’s taste was bitter). Even today, the resin of the myrrh tree/bush is still used in the production of medicinal ointments. In ancient times, it was very important in the production of perfumes and incense and it was worth much more than gold. Myyrh speaks of a bitter fragrance.
Since myrrh has healing properties, it can represent spiritual purification and healing as part of the anointing of the believer.

Matthew 3:11
11 “I indeed immerse you in water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to bear. He shall immerse you in the Set-apart Spirit and fire.

To be anointed by Yahweh is not a momentary experience it is also a process of purification through the fire we must all experience. His fire does not destroy us rather it is a continuous process of His grace to sanctify our lives.

2 Timothy 2:21
21 If, then, anyone cleanses himself from these matters, he shall be a vessel unto value, having been set apart, of good use to the Master, having been prepared for every good work.

We should not fear this purification as it is necessary to be set straight before Yahweh. We have the power of Yahweh through His Ruach HaKodesh (Set-Apart Spirit) which is our Comforter and we can find comfort and encouragement no matter how hard the process of purification may be.
Myyrh has an interesting characteristic: when it burns, it becomes larger and stronger. Its smell is similar to that of vanilla. In ancient times, it was burned in funerals to dissipate the smell of death.

CINNAMON ((קינמון)
Cinnamon has been known since ancient times to be a spice worthy of kings and other powerful people. It was very valuable and very hard to obtain.
Yahweh’s calling requires sacrifices on our part. We must consider our relationship with Elohim as the most valuable thing in our lives. We should not settle for what is good rather we should make an effort for what is best. The anointing of Yahweh can mean losing our relationship with family members, friends and even our careers or jobs. It can mean a difficult life and material deprivation. This could be the price we have to pay to obtain the fragrance of cinnamon.

Luke 14:28
28 “For who of you, wishing to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?

CANE (AROMATIC CALAMUS) (מוט)
Cane or Aromatic Calamus is a herb with sword-like elongated leaves and yellow-green flowers which can grow up to ten feet in height. To extract its essence, calamus must be broken and crushed. The more calamus is crushed the more fragrance is obtained.

Isaiah 66:2
2 Yet to such a one I look: on him who is poor and bruised of spirit, and who trembles at My Word.

To be bruised of spirit is to be afflicted. The majority of us know what it is to be afflicted before Yahweh. However, we must not remain so broken to the point of losing sight of the joy of salvation.

Mark 14:3 [Hebrew Roots Bible]
3 And He being in Bethany in the house of Simon the potter, as He reclined, a woman came, having an alabaster vial of pure, costly ointment of nard. And breaking the alabaster vial, she poured it down His head.

The woman had a flask of valuable perfume with which she chose to anoint Yahshua. To be able to open the flask she had to break it. This “breaking” is the process by which we surrender and give ourselves to Yahweh. The woman surrendered her most valuable possession and that gift produced a great fragrance in her relationship with Him.
Again, we must not remain broken. We have to allow our wounds to heal and continue our lives with joy, growing day by day through the restoration that Yahweh is bringing to our people Yisrael.

2 Corinthians 4:8-10
8 being hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; being perplexed, but not in despair
9 being persecuted, but not forsaken; being thrown down, but not destroyed
10 always bearing about in the body the dying of the Master יהושע, that the life of יהושע might also be manifested in our body.

Therefore, aromatic cane speaks of fragrance that is obtained at a great price. It cost Yahshua his life at the stake and it will cost us our attachment to this world. In exchange, we shall know the fragrance of Yahweh and Yahshua.

CASIA (סנה)
What we normally buy as cinnamon is actually cassia. They are very similar and in a way related. The Hebrew word for cassia comes from the root “kadad” which means to yield, to bend, to bow. It is appropriate to say that those who have received the anointing of Yahweh have humbly bowed down to Him.

1Peter 5:6
6 Humble yourselves, then, under the mighty hand of Elohim, so that He exalts you in due time,

We have an enemy that wants to take away our anointing. If we understand that our anointing means to be bathed with the presence of Yahweh, it is not hard to understand why the enemy wants to contaminate that experience.
Casia (סנה) reminds us that we should humbly incline ourselves before Yahweh

2 Kings 17:36
36 but יהוה, who brought you up from the land of Mitsrayim with great power and with an outstretched arm, Him you shall fear, and to Him you shall bow yourselves, and to Him you shall slaughter.

Psalms 95:6
6 Come, let us bow down and bend low, Let us kneel before יהוה our Maker.

This is not the position of a loser. It is a sign of submission before the Great Creator of the Universe. He gives us the anointing to keep the enemy ha satan under our feet.

Romans 16:20
20 And the Elohim of peace shall crush Satan under your feet shortly. The favour of our Master יהושע Messiah be with you. Amĕn.

OLIVE OIL (זית)
In almost any corner of Israel one can see ancient olive presses, large heavy stones that were used to crush the olives to extract olive oil. The extracted oil would run through channels into the jars where it was gathered and stored.
The lesson we can learn from the olive press is evident.
Yahshua was tested in the desert. During forty days and nights, while he fasted ha satan tempted him (Matthew 4:1-11). After this period of testing in the desert, Yahshua came out and started his ministry.
After the initial test comes the anointing. That anointing has a price: Yahweh has to be first in your life. Once you have made this decision, Yahweh starts the mixing of the anointing oil or perfume.

SeekingTruth

Re: INGREDIENTS OF THE ANOINTING OIL (שמן משחה)

Post by SeekingTruth » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks for this. Is there meaning, in that, theres Temple furnishings that must be anointed also? Im curious because I want to have a strong prayers life also. Maybe its an attitude not so much what we say, really, then?

SeekingTruth

Post by SeekingTruth » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:20 pm

Maybe its important to remember to pray when we go through certain aspects of life, like trials so that his presence can be more real in life?
"
Blessed are you who are persecuted for righteousness sake, for the Spirit of glory rest upon you."
I think thats written in the beautitutes, something to that affect.

SeekingTruth

Post by SeekingTruth » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:11 pm

I did a simple word study and broke down each Holy oil ingredient, fundamentally, by each Hebrew letter's significance.

Its a simplier understanding but the implication is significant, i hope, in my life