An argument for minimalistic beginning of Torah observance for incoming gentiles.

A place to share study, midrash, links and ideas.
Forum rules
Love your neighbour as yourself.
If there is a disagreement please have it respectfully.
nazarene
An argument for minimalistic beginning of Torah observance for incoming gentiles.

Post by nazarene » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:09 pm

שלום

Building a House of gentiles and hebrews.

Some stones needed to build this house;

1) The gentiles are joining the hebrews, and not the hebrews joining the gentiles. (Romans 11:17)

2) The hebrews are observing the Torah within the community. (Acts 18:21, Acts 21:20, Acts 21:24)

3) The gentiles at the bare minimum are expected to respect Torah observance of the hebrews.

4) The gentiles have a level of expectation placed on them within the community. (Acts 15:20, 29)

5) Commandments given to the gentiles comes from the Torah and thus hold the Torah to be an authority. (1 Corinthians 9:8, Romans 15:4)

6) The gentiles become aware of the Torah and learn it by attending places where Mosheh is taught every shabbat. (Acts 15:21)

Yaakov (James) in Acts 15 gives a set of Commandments that the incoming gentiles were to observe within the context of becoming part of the community in Acts 15:20, this list is then given again in Acts 15:29.

Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

The list in Acts 15:29 is ordered differently, in Acts 15:29 it forms part of an epistle sent abroad to the gentiles, the order is significant as it mirrors the order of the Commandments found in Leviticus 17 and 18.

The Commandments in Leviticus 17 and 18 all contain a similar word which forms the basis for grouping them together, as we shall see.

Act 15:29 To hold back from idol sacrifices, and blood, and that strangled, and from fornication; from which continually keeping yourselves, you will do well. Be prospered.

Lev 17:7 And they shall not sacrifice their sacrifices any more to goats, after which they have gone whoring. This is a perpetual statute to them throughout their generations.
Lev 17:8 And you shall say to them, Any man of the house of Israel, or of aliens who sojourn in your midst, who offers burnt offering or sacrifice,
Lev 17:9 and does not bring it in to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation to offer it to Jehovah, that man shall be cut off from his people.

Lev 17:8 ואלהם תאמר אישׁ אישׁ מבית ישׂראל ומן־הגר אשׁר־יגור בתוכם אשׁר־יעלה עלה או־זבח׃

Act 15:29 To hold back from idol sacrifices, and blood, and that strangled, and from fornication; from which continually keeping yourselves, you will do well. Be prospered.

Lev 17:10 And any man of the house of Israel, or of the alien who is staying in your midst, who eats any blood, I will set My face against that person that eats blood and will cut him off from his people.
Lev 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar, to atone for your souls; for it is the blood which makes atonement for the soul.
Lev 17:12 For this reason I have said to the sons of Israel, No person among you shall eat blood; and the alien who is staying in your midst shall not eat blood.

Lev 17:10 ואישׁ אישׁ מבית ישׂראל ומן־הגר הגר בתוכם אשׁר יאכל כל־דם ונתתי פני בנפשׁ האכלת את־הדם והכרתי אתה מקרב עמה׃

Lev 17:13 And any man of the sons of Israel, or of the aliens who stay in your midst, who hunts game, beast or fowl, which is eaten, shall even pour out its blood and shall cover it with dust.
Lev 17:14 For it is the life of all flesh; its blood is for its life. And I say to the sons of Israel, You shall not eat blood of any flesh, for the life of all flesh is in the blood; anyone eating it is cut off.

Lev 17:13 ואישׁ אישׁ מבני ישׂראל ומן־הגר הגר בתוכם אשׁר יצוד ציד חיה או־עוף אשׁר יאכל ושׁפך את־דמו וכסהו בעפר׃

Lev 18:26 and you, you shall keep My statutes and My judgments, and shall not do any of all these disgusting acts; neither the native nor the alien who is staying in your midst.

Lev 18:26 ושׁמרתם אתם את־חקתי ואת־משׁפטי ולא תעשׂו מכל התועבת האלה האזרח והגר הגר בתוככם׃

Leviticus 18 deals with various instructions about fornication to which Leviticus 18:26 refers back to, again it has the hebrew word that links it back to the other Commandments.

To summarise;

Acts 15:29 (food sacrificed to idols) ==> Leviticus 17:7-9

Acts 15:29 (Blood) ==> Leviticus 17:10-12

Acts 15:29 (meat of strangled animals) ==> Leviticus 17:13

Acts 15:29 (sexual immorality) ==> Leviticus 18:1-18:26

Connecting phrase ==> הגר within the phrase "the alien living among you"

שלום
Interested in learning more? Join us on paltalk in the room Yeshua HaMashiach Fellowship and Study Room