The Rainbow

A place to share study, midrash, links and ideas.
Forum rules
Love your neighbour as yourself.
If there is a disagreement please have it respectfully.
samuel7771
The Rainbow

Post by samuel7771 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 am

The Rainbow by Reuven ben Gershom
We know that the rainbow is very beautiful and this occurs when it rains and when as natural phenomenon of rays of sunlight pass through tiny water droplets that are suspended in the atmosphere. To form the rainbow clear crystal-like droplets refract the light unleashing the spectrum of colours it contains and displaying them in an arc across the misty skies. However we should not forget why there is a rainbow in the sky, for our loving Heavenly Father has given it to us as a very special sign, and we must never forget the full extent of its meaning! Although sadly the world today looks at it in so many different ways and has tuned what is so powerfully wonderful into many evil things, but they will be punished, unless they come in faith unto our Saviour Yahushua and repent! However, this is what YaHVaH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified (holy) Name, has said!

“‘I establish My covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a Flood; never again will there be a Flood to destroy the earth.’ And Elohim said, ‘This is the sign of the covenant I am making between Me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set My Rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember My covenant between Me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a Flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between Elohim and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.’ So Elohim said to Noach, ‘This is the sign of the covenant I have established between Me and all life on the earth.’” Bereshis - Genesis 9:11-17.

Obviously prior to the Great Flood of Noach, this natural occurrence of a rainbow never occurred and this was because, there has never been any rain prior to the rains that caused the Flood. Yet, we know that there were streams and rivers, and there was moisture in the air, or in the “firmament,” all of which supplied the needs of the earth at that time.

But, there was something about the interaction between the moisture in the earth’s atmosphere and the light emanating from the sun that failed to produce a rainbow. It was only after the Flood that the dynamics that created a rainbow were set in place by Elohim as a sign of His newly-formed covenant with mankind and all of His creation.

The spiritual and the physical are two faces of the same reality. This change in the physical nature of the interaction between water and light reflects a deeper, spiritual difference between the pre and post-Flood worlds, and the resultant difference in Elohim's manner of dealing with a corrupted world.

Contrary Differences:
An examination of the scriptures account of the first twenty generations of history reveals two primary differences between the world before the Flood and the post-Flood era.

The Blessed Scriptures show us that the pre-Flood generations enjoyed extremely long lives, as we find people living into their 8th, 9th and 10th centuries, such as Noah’s grandfather, Methuselah, lived some 969 years, his father, Lemech lived 777 years, and Noah himself a good 950 years. Obviously, this was an era of Divine benevolence in which life, health and prosperity flowed freely and indiscriminately from the YaHVaH Elohim, our loving Creator, blessed be He.

Following the Flood, we see a steady decline in the human lifespan. Within ten generations, we see that Avraham as being old at the age of 100.

The second difference is one that seems at odds with, and even contradictory to, the first, for after the Flood, the world gained a kind of stability it did not enjoy in the pre-Flood era. Before the Flood, the world's very existence was contingent upon its moral state. When humanity disintegrated into corruption and violence, Elohim said to Noah:

“The end of all flesh is come before Me, for the earth is filled with violence through them; behold, I shall destroy them and the earth.” Bereshis - Genesis 6:13.

Following the Flood, Elohim vowed:

I will not again curse the earth because of man … neither will I again smite everything living, as I have done. For all days of the earth, (the seasons for) seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.” Bereshis - Genesis 8:21-22.

No longer would the cycles of life and nature totter on the verge of extinction whenever man strays from his Elohim. The post Flood world is a world whose existence is assured, a world that is desired by its Creator regardless of its present state of conformity to His will.

And the guarantor of this assurance, the symbol of this new stability was the rainbow.

An Opaque World:
Before the Flood, man’s role in creation lay primarily in reacting to Elohim’s involvement in the world. The flow of divine vitality into the world was plentiful and uninhibited, enabling man to attain great material and spiritual heights, but these achievements were merely man’s acceptance of what was being bestowed upon him from above, rather than the fruits of his own initiative.

The pre Flood world was like a brilliant pupil who grasps the most profound teachings from his master, but who lacks the ability to conceive of a single original thought of his own. So once corrupted, once it had distanced itself from its Master and disavowed its relationship with Him, it lost the basis for its existence. When man ceased to respond, the world held no further use for the Creator.

After the Flood, Elohim imbued the world with a new potential, the potential to create. He granted it the ability to take what it receives from Above and develop it, extend it, and expand upon it. The world was now like a disciple who had been trained by his master to think on his own, to take the ideas which he has learned and apply them to new areas. Man was now able not only to absorb the divine input into his life but also to unleash its potential in new, unprecedented ways.

Such a world is in many ways is a weaker world than one that is wholly sustained by divine grace. It is more independent, and thus more subject to the limitations and mortality of the human state. Hence the shorter lifespan of the post Flood generations. But in the final analysis, such a world is more enduring: even when it loses sight of its origin and purpose, it retains the ability to rehabilitate itself and restore its relationship with its Creator. Because it possesses an independent potential for self renewal, it can always reawaken this potential, even after it has been suppressed and laid dormant for generations.

Rising Mist:
The rainbow is the natural event that exemplifies the new post-Flood order. Moisture rises from the earth to form clouds and raindrops, which catch the light of the sun. A less refined substance would merely absorb the light; but the purity and translucency of these droplets allows them to focus and channel the rays they capture in such a way that reveals the many colours implicit within each ray of sunlight.

The pre Flood world lacked the rainbow. There was nothing in or about it that could rise from below to interact with and develop what it received from above. Such was its spiritual nature; as a result, the conditions for a physical rainbow also failed to develop, the mist it raised could only absorb, but not refract, the light of the sun.

Lacking a creative potential of its own, the pre Flood world was left without reason and right for existence when it ceased to receive the divine influence from above. Then came the Flood and the rains that destroyed a corrupted world also cleansed it and purified it, leaving in their wake a new world with a new nature, a world that rises to meet and transform what is bestowed upon it; a world with the translucency and refinement to develop the gifts it receives into new, unprecedented vistas of colour and light.

When this world goes astray, Elohim sees its rainbow and the sight of it causes Him to cease from destroying it, for the rainbow attests to the saving grace of YaHVaH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified Name. He gave Israel the Torah (the Sinai Law) with sacrifices that would enable Israel to be cleansed from their sins.

In order to save not only Israel but also the world, YaHVaH Elohim, blessed be His Sanctified Name, sent the Messiah, the Passover Lamb of Elohim who gave His life for us and who Elohim rose again from the dead! All who will believe in Yahushua, and repent of their sins can rebuild their relationship with YaHVaH Elohim! This requires …

Faith in the Elohim the Creator:

“Have faith in Elohim," Yahushua answered.” Markus - Mark 11:22.

“You are my witnesses," declares YHVH, "and My servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. Before Me no god was formed, nor will there be one after Me. I, even I, am YHVH, and apart from Me there is no saviour.” Yeshayahu - Isaiah 43:10-11.

Faith in His Word:

“Sanctify them by the truth; Your Word is truth.” Yochanan - John 17:17.

“Show me Your ways, O YHVH, teach me Your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are Elohim my Saviour, my hope is in You constantly.” Tehillim - Psalm 25:4-5.

Faith knowing that Yahushua shed his blood “for the remission of sins.” Mattityahu - Mathew 26:28.

“The Elohim of our fathers raised Yahushua from the dead.” Acts 5:30.

“… if you confess with your mouth, that Yahushua is Master, and believe in your heart that Elohim raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 19:9.

Faith that YHVH Elohim rose Yahushua up from the grave:

“We believe that Yahushua died and rose again” 1 Thessalonians 4:14.

“Yahushua the Messiah died, but more than that, He was raised to life.” Romans 8:34.

“Repent, then, and turn to Elohim, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from Elohim.” Acts 3:19.

“Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.” Revelations 3:3.

With that kind of faith, combined with repentance all who believe in Yahushua The Messiah are restored and cleansed from their sins! HalleluYAH.

Thank You YaHVaH Elohim for giving us the blessed Rain as well as the Rainbow Your Sign of Grace!

I pray that this short study on the rainbow has blessed you!

As you go and share the love, mercy, and forgiveness that our beloved Messiah offers, may the Spirit of YaHVaH Elohim touch and change them, that they may also receive the REWARD … FOR …

“He (Yahushua) said. ‘The Kingdom of Elohim is near. Repent and believe the good news!’” Markus - Mark 1:15.