A Nazarene is a follower of of Natsareth (Nazareth) . This word is used to describe Yahshua the Messiah (Matthew 26:71; Mark 1:24; 10:47; 14:67; Luke4:34; John 17:5; Acts 2:22) and it is also used to describe his followers
Acts 24:5 (Tertullus speaking about Paul) 5 “For having found this man a plague, who stirs up dissension among all the Yehuḏim throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Natsarenes,
David Stern ( Jewish New Testament Commentary), notes the following in Acts 24:5 :
The sect of the Natzratim (Nazarenes), a Hebrew word derived from “Natzeret”(Nazareth) the town where Yeshua the Messiah lived most of His life. The Greek word used here is “Nazôraios”; it is used six times in Acts and five times in the Gospels as descriptive of Yeshua himself…
Today a similarly derived Hebrew word, “Notzrim” is the ordinary word for “Christians”…
Tertulius wants Felix to understand the Natzratim as a Messianic group, and that any group supporting a Messiah is loyal to a different king and subversive of Roman hegemony.
(Taken from the Jewish New Testament Commentary by David H. Stern. Copyright © 1992. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Messianic Jewish Publishers, 6120 Day Long Lane, Clarksville, MD 21029. www.messianicjewish.net.)
In the 4th century, Jerome refers to Nazarenes as those:
“who accept Messiah in such a way that they do not cease to observe the old Law.”
Epiphanius, another ‘Church Father’ wrote about them in 370 CE:
They use not only the New Testament but the Old Testament as well… they have the Good News according to Matthew in its entirety in Hebrew. For it is clear that they still preserve this, in the Hebrew alphabet, as it was originally written.
(Ephiphanius; Pan. 29)
As a follower of Yahshua the Messiah, a Nazarene:
– loves ( ) above all things and his fellowmen as himself. (Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18; Matthew 22:37-39)
– believes Yahweh is the Almighty; Yahweh is One (not two, not three); Yahweh is the Creator of all that exists and our Father (Genesis 17:1; Deuteronomy 6:4; Ecclesiastes 12:1; Romans 8:15-17).
– believes Yahshua (), the Son of Yahweh, is divine (not almighty); he preexisted with the Almighty before becoming flesh and is the firstborn of all creation (Yahweh’s First Creation). He was created by Yahweh before everything else. His name means ‘the Salvation of Yah‘.
[THE SET-APART SPIRIT]
– believes that the Set-Apart Spirit (also known as the Holy Spirit) is the mind of Yahweh, it is the power that emanates from the Father and the Son.
– is zealous (ardent) for the Acts 21:20) and observes it by the interpretation and the way of living of Yahshua the Messiah. (
– believes the Word of Yahweh is absolute Truth and as such Yahweh will Judge man’s wilful neglect of Torah.
– lives by every Word that proceeds from the Mouth of Elohim as Yahshua did.
(Deuteronomy 8:4; Matthew 4:4)
– keeps the commands of Yahweh and the commands of Yahshua.
– keeps the Sabbath starting on Friday at sunset and ending on Saturday at sunset.
– keeps the Feasts of Yahweh.
– follows the dietary laws of Leviticus 11 as Yahshua did. (See Clean & Unclean Foods).
THE GREAT COMMISSION
Every Nazarene is commanded by Yahshua the Messiah to fulfill the Great Commission which is to take His message to the ends of the earth:
“Go and teach them to carry out all the things that I have commanded you – forever”
(Ancient Hebrew Matthew 28:19)
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture verses are taken from The Scriptures
Copyright by Institute for Scripture Research.
Used by permission.